Key lime pie is one of the most refreshing desserts in existence, and I can’t get enough of this recipe that changed my life forever!
When my second son was born, one of my good friends and local bloggers, Beck of @beckeatsworld, brought our family dinner. Beck is a talented cook, and I’m never disappointed by her meals. I was astounded when she brought us her homemade key lime pie with dinner.
Her take on the classic dessert was perfection, and I’ve been using her recipe ever since.
Thank you, my friend, for introducing me to this delicacy! I make this pie often, and all our family members are obsessed with it.
It’s All In The Crust
The crust is the biggest thing that sets this key lime pie apart from others. Instead of your typical graham cracker crust, Beck uses gingersnaps, and that decision completely elevates the dessert. It adds so much flavor and crunchy texture and is so simple to make!
You pulse gingersnaps in a food processor, add butter and sugar, and then press into a pie plate to bake at 350 for 6-8 minutes. That’s it. That’s all you must do to create the best key lime pie crust ever.
Next Comes The Refreshing Filling
The filling calls for lime juice, obviously! Keep it simple with the lime juice mixers. Beck swears by Nellie and Joe’s Key Lime juice, but we usually use Master of Mixes Sweetened Lime Juice. I’ve made it with both, and it’s delicious either way! You’ll combine the lime juice with sweetened condensed milk, sour cream, egg yolks, and zest. Mix with the whisk attachment for a few minutes.
Once that crust is completely cooled, dump this filling into the pie plate and bake for 15-20 minutes until the top is set with a bit of jiggle. Do not brown! Refrigerate for at least a couple of hours.
Decorate And Enjoy!
We make homemade whipped cream because it’s superior (recipe provided), but you can certainly use store-bought whipped cream in a pinch. Pipe onto the pie and prepare to have your mind blown by this incredible key lime pie!
The Best Key Lime Pie Recipe
- 2 cups gingersnaps crushed
- 6 tbsp butter melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 28 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 fresh limes zested
- 3/4 cup key lime juice
- 2 egg yolks
Whipped Cream Ingredients
- 12 oz heavy cream
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 °F
Make the crust.
- Crush gingersnaps in a food processor.2 cups gingersnaps
- Add melted butter and sugar, pulsing until combined.6 tbsp butter, 1/4 cup sugar
- Pour mixture into a 9-inch pie dish and press firmly and evenly onto bottom and sides.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
Make the filling.
- Combine lime juice, sweetened condensed milk, sour cream, egg yolks, and zest in a large bowl on a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Mix on low until combined, then mix on medium-high for 2-3 minutes.28 oz sweetened condensed milk, 1/2 cup sour cream, 3/4 cup key lime juice, 2 egg yolks, 2 fresh limes
- Bake the pie.
- Pour filling onto the cooled pie crust and bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 until set with a slight jiggle. Do not allow it to brown.
- Refrigerate for at least two hours.
Make the whipped cream
- Add all whipped cream ingredients to the bowl of a stand mixer and whisk on high for 3-5 minutes until stiff peaks form.12 oz heavy cream, 2 tsp vanilla, 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Pipe the whipped cream onto the pie in desired design.
- Slice and enjoy!