Crispy feta rolls…what could be better? Crispy feta rolls dipped in a Cheerwine spicy honey sauce, that’s what.
I’ve been obsessed with Sigara Borek/Boregi since I tried it at a fantastic local restaurant in Cary called Bosphorus. A traditional Turkish dish, Sigara Boregi is a crispy appetizer made of fried phyllo dough and a cheese filling.
After seeing one of my favorite local recipe bloggers, A Bright Moment, post her take on delicious feta rolls, my mama and I knew we had to put a southern Cheerwine spin on them! This recipe follows hers closely with just a few changes, namely the Cheerwine syrup.
Step One: Prepare The Filling
Add all of the filling ingredients to a bowl and mix. This filling is delicious enough to eat on its own, but hang in there and wait for the finished product–it’s worth it.
Roll It Up
Phyllo dough can be intimidating, but we have a couple of tips to make it easier for you:
- Thaw out the dough.
- Cover any pieces not currently used with a damp towel to keep them from drying out.
Place one sheet on the other and brush with oil before cutting. There are multiple ways to cut the dough, but our favorite is to cut it in half and roll it like a burrito.
Pop them in the oven–yep, no frying required!
The Cheerwine Spicy Honey Sauce
Feta and spicy honey is a match made in heaven. Add in the Cheerwine, and you’ve got a real treat!
It’s effortless to make the sauce. You combine all ingredients in a saucepan and let it simmer to thicken.
We hope you love these Cripsy feta rolls with Cheerwine spicy honey sauce as much as we do! Leave us a comment with your thoughts!
Crispy Feta Rolls w/ Cheerwine Spicy Honey Sauce
Crispy Feta Rolls
- 15 Frozen Sheets Phyllo Dough thawed
- 8 oz feta cheese crumbled
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 sprigs thyme fresh
- 1/2 tbsp Italian parsley fresh
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
Crispy Feta Rolls
- Preheat oven to 425 °F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Make the filling. Mix together the crumbled feta, honey, thyme, parsley, salt, pepper, and minced garlic in a bowl. Set aside.8 oz feta cheese, 2 cloves garlic, 2 tbsp honey, 2 sprigs thyme, 1/2 tbsp Italian parsley, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper
- Combine two phyllo dough sheets–one on top of the other. Brush with oil and cut in half lengthwise.Keep unused phyllo dough sheets covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to keep from drying out.1/4 cup olive oil, 15 Frozen Sheets Phyllo Dough
- Add 1 tbsp of filling to one end of the dough. Roll like a burrito, folding in the sides to keep the edges closed.
- Repeat steps with the rest of the dough.
- Brush each roll with more oil and sprinkle with flaky salt.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until golden brown.
Cheerwine Spicy Honey Sauce
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat.2 tsp Cheerwine Syrup, 4 tbsp honey, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1/2-1 tsp red pepper flakes, 1 sprig thyme leaves
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature. The sauce will thicken as it cools.
- Serve with rolls.