- This event has passed.
Martin Luther King Jr. Day: It Takes A Village
January 16 @ 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
The theme of our Martin Luther King, Jr. Day celebration on Monday, January 16, 2023 is sourced from the Gantt’s partnership with Levine Museum of the New South in presenting the Smithsonian’s Men of Change: Power. Triumph. Truth. exhibition.
As the two institutions come together to celebrate the legacy of Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., this day-long celebration expresses that true sustainable success can only be achieved with community collaboration. Dr. King was only as successful as his team, which included several men honored in the Men of Change exhibition. The Gantt and Levine Museum plan to collaborate with local and regional artists, historians, and institutions to uplift the power of collective voice and action.
Programming during MLK Day will include:
- Community-led conversations reflecting how unified effort contributed to the success of the Civil Rights Movement, and how we can adapt those same principles today
- Lectures from regional historians, scholars, and history-makers to give uncommon context to Dr. King’s work
- Theater and live musical performances from premier performers in Charlotte and beyond
- Elevated hands-on art experiences in which guests can have a durable keepsake to commemorate the day
- Community mural that artistically represents the day’s theme
- Quilting/sewing workshops for scarves and other clothing items to be donated to our community members in need
Stay tuned for more details to come!
For directions and parking, click here.
Men of Change was developed by the Smithsonian Institution Traveling Exhibition Service and made possible through the generous support of the Ford Motor Company Fund.
Free admission to the Men of Change exhibition at The Harvey B. Gantt Center and Levine Museum of the New South is made possible by generous support from Wells Fargo.