I finally tried Big C Waffles and boy do they know what they are doing. The fried chicken is seasoned so well. I find a lot of fried chicken to taste bland but not theirs. It was crispy on the outside and so juicy on the inside. I don’t know how they do it but as long as they keep doing it, that’s good enough for me. The waffles surprised me honestly. I typically prefer waffles that are crispy on the outside so I didn’t expect to love these softer ones but I DID. They have a lot of flavors to choose from and you can even mix and match on the same waffle. Here are the flavors we tried:
- donut- my favorite! It was like a state fair funnel cake in waffle form
- bacon egg and cheese- perfect for savory!
- sweet potato- almost tasted like a very subtle pumpkin flavor? I’m a 20 something white girl so I liked that of course
- red velvet- exactly what it sounds like and very good.
I realized after we left that they also have blueberry and I wish I had tried it! I love blueberry! Next time. We also ordered their famous kool aid and I loved it. It was quite sugary so if you’re a baby about sugar, I feel sorry for you and you should skip ordering this.
Their restaurant is “pull up or park” style so you can park and get out to order at the window, or you can call ahead and pull up to pick it up. If you’re in a rush, I suggest calling ahead. They make their food fresh so it isn’t “fast food” even though the building looks like it would be. Have you tried this famous Durham joint yet?! What did you think?
- The fried chicken– it is crispy on the outside yet buttery and juicy on the inside.
- Favorite waffle flavors: Donut- it’s like a state fair funnel cake in waffle form! Sweet Potato- perfect fall vibes but delicious year-round. Red Velvet- one of their most popular!
- Granny’s Kool-Aid- Just like childhood in a drink. I loved the nostalgia and the flavor was immaculate.